I apologize for the lack of posts lately. I have been working with Nick and Karl to re-build the internet facing part of my home environment. I’ve finally gotten rid of the Actiontec router that Verizon had delivered to me for FIOS, and converted over to a Intel ARM based system running Linux.
Doing that involved running a new Ethernet cable from the OTP through the house into my server room, then came the challenge of getting Verizon to change my internet access from MOCA to Ethernet. This sounds much easier to explain than it actually is. My first call to Verizon, the rep had no issue understanding what I wanted. As she told me that the process should be finished in 10 minutes, we were disconnected. I figured I would be alright since she said the process was complete. 30 minutes later my internet had not moved from MOCA to Ethernet. *sigh* Time to call Verizon back. My second call, not so easy. The tech I was talking to was convinced that moving it to Ethernet would not work. After being put on hold multiple times, and the tech talking to network engineering, he finally came back and said it was complete. Success.
My internet was not a lot faster than it used to be, but the problem was my gateway was running on Ubuntu. *bleh* Working with Nick I was able to just recently get it moved over to Fedora 20, where it will stay until we move to CentOS 7.
With that change my network is much more resilient. In addition I’m now testing a Unifi AP and I am very pleased with the results. I’ll be ordering some additional network equipment in the next few days, to finish building out my lab. When all is said and done, I’ll have a new domain running, IPv6 and IPv4 internally and externally accessible, a Cisco gig switch with multiple VLANs and all of my hypervisors talking to each other in a much more reliable fashion.
Next up, building the domain controllers, bind servers, and getting it to all talk to each other.
Categorised as: Uncategorized